Friday, January 4, 2008

SALLY SIMS' FIRST SALE!

To read Sally Sims' excellent personal essay recently published in the Christian Science Monitor please click on http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1220/p18s03-hfes.html And...here is how Sally went from being an unpublished writer to her first sale---and in a prestigious international newspaper, at that!

"Persistence pays off. When I decided to target the Christian Science Monitor to get published, I'd only been paid in contributor's copies for writing I had done. I wanted dearly to break into a paying market, and a national one to boot. …the Monitor celebrates the personal essay. My first submission, a humorous piece about attending an auction, got no response. By the time I wrote the second attempt, a travel piece on Cedar Key, Florida I'd started working with Roy as a writing coach and then took his LifeStory class. Through that spring and summer I could feel my writing getting tauter with Roy's input and, most of all, his unflagging encouragement. When I wrote the Creche essay, I knew I was closing in. I submitted by email and got accepted in under three hours. Roy helped me immensely, not only in developing my writing and editing skills, but in getting to the point where I felt like a writer—which makes me much bolder. Thanks, Roy !"
Sally Sims, January, 2008