Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Inspiration? or Intimidation?

I lived, wrote, and led writing workshops in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, all through the 1990s. Living in another country was a long-time goal of mine, and I loved it.

Towards the end of that time I started writing plays. I was the only playwright in San Miguel, and there was virtually no theatre.

I needed inspiration. I needed to go to lots of theatre, to see the work of other playwrights. I needed to go back to New York City to live.

That's what I did, but not without some trepidation. When you're the only playwright in town, that also means you're the best playwright in town. But back in New York, there are lots of talented playwrights, even some, uh oh, more talented than me!

So, I had to decide whether to be inspired, or intimidated. The good news is that I've been mostly inspired, with a few dark moments of feeling intimidated. The same applies to you, whatever kind of writing you do. Are you inspired by all the other talented writers? Or intimidated?

Email me at RoySorrels2@aol.com and let me know. Visit http://www.roysorrels.com/ to learn what a writing coach does!